Monday, April 16, 2012

HGTV.com Reveal

It's official! Let my 15 minutes begin.

My DIY projects made it on the pages of HGTV.com - both of them!  I was approached and asked if I had any unique storage ideas for the garage. Guess what? I didn't! My first chance to be featured by a major DIY big shot and I didn't have a single thing to share for the garage. I barely have any finished projects in my house...let alone the garage! So I whipped up a couple of things and sent them to the journalist and crossed my fingers. They used them both!

See HGTV.com slideshow here.




Of course when you release your stuff to the editors, they get to pick and choose what they want. And let me tell you, taking photos inside my dark little garage didn't give the best results. But let me share with you all the pics that I shared with them.


Hanging Hubcap Shelf
Made from my growing collection of abandoned hubcaps (I have plans to make more recycled hubcap flowers)
















Garden Tool Grab
Made from a scrap piece of wood, 2 pieces of driftwood, an old wire basket, and a couple of little glass plates with recycled magazine pages mod podged to the back for an extra dose of happy for the garage.














You can probably just look at them and figure out how to DIY your own, but I'll share some before and after pics later this week so you can see the various parts I pulled together.

There was an extra bonus in all of this as well. One of my favorite artisans out there is Brian Carlisle with GadgetSponge. He makes the most wonderfully whimsical bird houses. The journalist who approached me also saw one of Brian's cool license plate clocks on one of my blog posts and I introduced the two of them - and Brian's clock made the cut as well. Congrats, Brian!

I love several of the other unique garage storage solutions, especially the file cabinet turned on its side as a tool holder. But you won't be seeing any more garage DIY from me for a while. I have a LONG list of things to play and experiment with on the inside of our home and in the garden!

OK. 15 minutes are over. 

Until next time...
Mike





11 comments:

  1. So cool!! I'm so proud of you!!!! The hubcap hanging shelf is so clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Still waiting to know what your surprise is? Do you have your recycled magazine page artwork done yet?

      Delete
  2. super congrats! I'm impressed that you came up with ideas in a flash - but wait...that's what you do - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee!!! So glad to be part of your success! Super congrats to you Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the hubcaps and congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the garden grab shelf. Now all I need is a garage.
    Congrats on the recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation! Hope we get to see more 15 min from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being called a "journalist." Thanks so much for your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Mike! I was just blogging about your HubCap Flowers over at http://resourcefulredesigns.com/2012/04/17/flower-power-project-idea/ I used to collect hub caps as a kid and plan to whip up a few flower designs for aulde lang syne. Love the extra inspiration for the lowly hubcap, I suspect more than 15 minutes are in your future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GOOD work!!! I can say "I knew her when!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the third time I've been to your website. Thnx for posting more details.
    My website :: Chesterfield Furniture

    ReplyDelete

I'm listening! And responding - so let's create some buzz together for recycled and repurposed arts and crafts.

Related Post for bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com